The 19th century water absorbing installation, part of Warsaw’s past water pumping system, dubbed “the dragon” was finally removed from its location on the shore of the Vistula river.
It was restored and put on exhibition at Warsaw Water Filters. The installation was rediscovered last year, as Vistula’s waters hit a record low.
The “dragon” is actually the tip of the water collecting system that was used to pump water from Vistula into the filtering station, located 6 kilometres away. There were actually three such installations, in form of pipes with sieve covers that were placed by the river in 1886 and 1899. Two of them were removed in 1928 and 1934 but the third one remained in its original place until last year’s drought.
The “dragon” gradually went out of use with modernisation of the waterworks and setting up new installations. Currently the metal elements underwent restoration and are on display in the Warsaw Water Filters, where the informal museum of the water filters in Warsaw is established.
(after TVN Warszawa)