Archaeologists conducting excavations in Warsaw’s northern district of Marymont, discovered remains of a summer palace built for king Jan III Sobieski (Eng. John III Sobieski), known for his victory over the Turks at the 1683 Battle of Vienna.
The palace at Marymont was built in 1691-1696 based on the project created by the famous architect Tylman van Gameren for the King of Poland, Jan III Sobieski. The area where the structure was built was named Marie Mont, Mary’s Hill, and later polonised to Marymont. It was a small palace settled on the high escarpment over Vistula river. It was built on a rectangular plan and served the royal pair as a private residence and a hunting estate for the king. It is here that the king met with the envoys asking for help against the Ottoman invasion. In 1727 king August II Mocny (Eng. Augustus II the Strong) bought the estate from the Sobieski family and established a private zoo at Marymont where he and his son, later king August III spent time during hunts in the nearby forests. In the early 19th century an agricultural institute was established here. In later times the Russian army occupied the area and finally in the 20s-30s of the 20th century the building served as a chapel.
The excavations revealed remains of old architectural structures and small finds. The archaeologists believe to have found a corner of the lower terrace of the palace. Wall fragments from different periods were discovered, including both the original and from World War II time. Numerous artefacts were obtained during excavations, including coins, pottery and metal objects that are undergoing conservation. Archaeologists plan to excavate the whole area of the hill to uncover and document the remains of the palace.
(after TVN Warszawa)