Archaeologists confirmed that remains of fortifications found by aerial laser scanning (ALS) in the region of the Dalkowskie Hills, south-east Poland, are linked to the army of Frederick the Great, King of Prussia, and were probably constructed in 1759 during the Seven Years’ War (1754-1763).
After the discovery of the terrain features in openly available ALS data of the ground’s surface the team of archaeologists managed to conduct a field survey, resulting in finds of artefacts dating back to the 2nd half of the 18th century. The researchers focused on seven of the found trenches consisting of a ditch and an embankment, which were studied with use of metal detectors. As a result over 50 metal objects were found, including musket bullets, uniform buttons, gun fittings, and jewellery. Most of the artefacts are believed to date to the Seven Years’ War of 1754-1763.
On the basis of the finds, the dirt fortifications were dated and linked to the Prussian army, which is known to have stationed in the area in 1759. According to the archaeologists, the fortifications were never attacked and were preserved in good condition, with a still visible octagonal redoubt structure surrounded by a 1.5-2-metres high rampart. The archaeologists hoped to find a lot more artefacts but believe their small number can be attributed to the army’s short stay at the site.
(after Nauka w Polsce & Michał Filipowicz)