Archaeologists conducted a non-invasive survey with use of a GPR (ground penetrating radar) prior to start of a new season of excavations in Sierpc aimed at uncovering the remains of a Medieval castle.
The remains of the castle are located by the Sierpnica river and the parish church in Sierpc. This season an area of 40 ares was investigated with use of non-invasive methods by researcher Piotr Wroniecki few days prior to the start of a new season of excavations. It is estimated that the castle might have covered an area of 1000-1100 square metres, of which around 400 square metres have been already uncovered.
The castle is said to have been built between 15th-16th century in place of prior settlements dated to 12th and 13th centuries. The Medieval castle was created as a palatial residence but was partially destroyed during Swedish invasion of the 17th century. Last season of excavations lasting now for three years unearthed a portion of the walls of the structure and defensive walls surrounding it. A free-standing tower, dated to 16th century was also found, located beyond the defensive walls. Archaeologists were so far unable to find the main, oldest building of the castle. Locating it is the main goal of the excavations so far, as well as clearly establishing the chronological phases of the structures.
Beside architectural remains archaeologists were also able to uncover numerous artefacts, including gothic bricks, pottery vessels, a tile indicating existence of a hypocaustic heating system, golden medallion depicting St Benedict and St Scholastica, a coin dating to 17th century, and a 18th century engagement ring.
(after Wyborcza, Urząd Miasta w Sierpcu & Zamek Sierpc)