Archaeologists discovered remains of a castle, dating back to 16-18th centuries, while conducting drainage works at a World War 2 bunker in Wodzisław Śląski, South Poland.
The works that lead to the discovery were conducted in connection with drainage works at a bunker dating back to World War 2. The discovered remains consist mainly of foundation walls made of sandstone, of which the presently non-existent castle was built. Other remains include shards of pottery vessels and a button made of bronze. Previous archaeological research of the side has proven that occupation of the site could be dated back to the end of 13th century and lasted to 18th century.
The former castle in Wodzisław Śląski consisted of a complex of buildings, of which the oldest were dated to Medieval times – to the end of 13th century. As there are only a few historical sources it is currently unknown how exactly the castle looked like, including what was the function of the newly discovered building. The recent excavations revealed that the structure was built with use of sandstone and limestone mortar. The building that was discovered measured about 10 by 5 metres with walls being 115-centimetre thick. The structure was demolished in 1941 when the bunker was built.
The original castle suffered much damage during Thirty Years’ War (1618-1648) and after passing between different owners it was eventually demolished in 18th century by Count Gudobald Joseph Dietrichstein and Maria Henkel von Donnersmarck, who decided to built a palace in its place. The new structure, built between 1744-1747 in French Baroque architecture style stands at the site until today.
(after Muzeum w Wodzisławiu Śląskim & Nauka w Polsce)