Archaeologists uncovered remains of a castle in Łańcut, Southern Poland, dating back to the 14th century. The site is known as being the seat of an infamous 17th-century troublemaker, Stanisław Stadnicki, called “the Devil”.
The remains of the castle were discovered by the vicar’s building of the parish church in Łańcut. Archaeologists believe that the uncovered remains belong to a fortified manor that once stood there, as thousands of artefacts were uncovered. These finds indicate that the castle was built in 14th century by the Pilecki family and occupied later on, up to 17th century. One of the most known owners of the grounds was a Polish nobleman, Stanisław Stadnicki (1551-1610), a famous troublemaker called “the Devil” or “the Devil of Łańcut” for his violent behaviour. He was one of the leaders of a rebellion (1606–1608) against the King of the the Polish–Lithuanian Commonwealth, Sigismund III Vasa, in 17th century and organised many assaults at the estates of other noblemen.
On the course of the last weeks of excavations archaeologists were able to uncover numerous artefacts, including furnace tiles, vessels, animal and human remains, and parts of walls. Some of the metal objects were uncovered with use of metal detectors. Archaeologists also conducted a non-invasive survey at the site with use of a GPR device. It was possible to establish that there were further potential remains of walls by the building of the presbytery.
(after Ewa Koch & Polskie Radio Rzeszów)