Excavations at the square located in front of the Castle of the Sułkowski princes, Bielsko-Biała, South Poland, revealed among other finds remains of 15th-century fortification walls and 19th-century buildings.
Archaeologists excavating the remains of Marea, an ancient harbour town located near Alexandria, North Egypt, have uncovered remains of stone latrines, and jewellery within the ruins of a 1500-years-old basilica.
Archaeologists uncovered a 2000-years-old tomb containing a tombstone with depiction of fighting Gladiators and the longest funerary epigraph ever found in the San Paolino area near Porta Stabia, Pompeii.
Archaeologists excavating the site of the Episcopal Basilica in Plovdiv, Bulgaria, discovered a large stone baptismal vessel given to the basilica by a Bishop named Makedonii. The object dates to around 5th century AD.
Excavations at Rusokastro fortress near Bourgas in East Bulgaria, revealed rare valuable finds, including an ivory icon that they believe would have belonged to an emperor and a gold coin from the time of the Byzantine emperor Phocas (547-610AD).
A Roman law code manuscript dating to 6th century has been discovered within a book binding of 1537 copy of Hesiod’s of “Works and Days” using a combination of imaging techniques, including visible-light hyperspectral imaging, and X-ray fluorescence imaging.
The first ever Greek amphora discovered in the country was unearthed by archaeologists excavating the ringfort at Chotyniec, South-eastern Poland. The 2500-years-old site is believed to be the farthest West settlement connected with the Scythian people and the sphere of cultural influence of their nomadic civilisation.
Archaeologists working at a revitalisation project in Głogów, South-west Poland, uncovered remains of a church and monastery of St Stanisław that belonged to the Franciscans who settled in the city in mid 13th century.
Archaeologists unearthed a fourth rare ritual bath at the ancient city of Magdala, Israel, along with a unique carved stone point, which suggests the site may have been the seat of one of the priestly families that fled Jerusalem to the Galilee after the fall of the Second Temple at the hands of the Romans in 70AD.
Archaeologists discovered remains of numerous granaries dating back 3500 years back to the Bronze Age, at the Kaymakçı settlement near Gölmarmara, Manisa province, Turkey.
After previous failed attempts researchers have uncovered the main telegraph of RMS Lusitania from the wreck, resting off the Head of Kinsale, County Cork, Ireland.
Mesa Verde National Park officials published recently made graffiti that destroyed archaeological artefacts and the side of a sandstone cliff dwellings within the park, located in Colorado, USA.
A family spending the summer at the Baltic shore, discovered a part from an airplane at the beach near Podczele, Northern Poland.
Construction workers preparing the site of the future shopping centre at Plac Kopernika (Copernicus Square), Opole, South-western Poland, unearthed a part of a 19th-century wall of a brewery.
Archaeologists discovered a well preserved ancient carpenter’s tool – an iron “yariganna” cutting chisel, at the Yokaichijikata ruins in Komatsu, Ishikawa province, Japan. The tool is believed to be 2300 years old.
A historic sword, belonging to Col. Robert Gould Shaw, leader of the first American Civil War unit in the North made up of African-American soldiers, was donated to the Massachusetts Historical Society after resting for decades at attics of private owners.
Archaeologists discovered a Roman floor mosaic, an ancient inscription dating back to the early Byzantine period, and ruins of a Byzantine chapel in the Elbeyli district of Kilis, South-eastern Turkey.
Archaeologists discovered a Bronze Age wooden container in an ice patch at an altitude of at 2650 metres at Lötschberg mountain in the Swiss Alps. Analysis of the biomarkers from the food residue shed light on spread and exploitation of cereal grains in Prehistoric Europe.
Archaeologists discovered a well equipped graves dating to 2nd-3rd centuries AD in Pakoszówka, South-East Poland. It is believed these graves belong to Vandal warriors and the site is just the second such in the Subcarpatian region.
Researchers conducting thorough exhumations in the area by the parish church in Chojnice, Northern Poland, in search for Polish soldiers fallen during German Invasion of Poland in 1939 discovered some Evangelical graves but did not locate the soldiers’ grave.