The square in front of the Collegiate church of St Nicholas in Końskie, south-central Poland, was once a cemetery for fallen Wehrmacht soldiers and civil administration workers of the Third Reich in German occupied Poland. Last March and April, after nearly 80 years, the graves were opened to exhume the bodies and move them to a cemetery for German soldiers in Siemianowice Śląskie. This is a brief story of the cemetery and the investigation of the site.
A completely preserved sword dating back to the 14th century was found in a peatbog near Hrubieszów, South-eastern Poland. It is considered a unique find for the whole region.
Archaeologists discovered a 2500-years-old fortified settlement in the vicinity of Chotyniec, in the Subcarpathian region of South-east Poland. The settlement is linked to the Scythian people and is the farthest to the West ever discovered.
Hoard of 41 gold coins dated to the 5th cent. AD were discovered in an orchard in Lienden, near Veenendaal, Netherlands. Some of the coins bear the image of Emperor Flavius Julius Valerius Majorianus, known as Majorian (420-461 AD).
Team of explorers uncovered numerous large stones with German inscriptions along with a mysterious bottle with a letter inside near Przemków, South-western Poland. The finds are believed to date to World War II when German youth camps operated in the area.
Archaeologists of the Polish Institute of National Remembrance (Instytut Pamięci Narodowej) uncovered a grave containing skeletons of three victims of the communist regime at the Łączka site of Powązki Military Cemetery in Warsaw. Two of the three victims were found holding hands.
Soldiers of the 1st Sappers’ Regiment from Brzeg aided researchers of the Polish Institute of National Remembrance (Instytut Pamięci Narodowej) in search for places of mass murders committed by the communist regime in Poland.
Latest laser technology was used to uncover the faded frescoes in the Catacombs of St Domitilla in Rome, which are dated to be 1600 years old and were discovered first in 16th century.
Analysis of bones from the Battle of Lützen, Germany, in 1632 AD revealed much information about the violent lives and deaths of soldiers from the times of the Thirty Years’ War.
Archaeologists discovered remains of ancient coastal structures and a port, a large number of shipwrecks dating back to various eras and significant smaller finds during underwater excavations at the island of Delos.
Archaeologists working at the Lincoln Eastern Bypass discovered a part of a roof tile from 100 AD containing a cat’s paw print.
Analysis of the wealthy Celtic tomb, dating to 5th century BC, found in the village of Lavau in eastern France in 2015 produces first results of the extremely valuable find.
Remains of foundations of a luxury Roman bath house was discovered by archaeologists under public park in centre of Chichester, United Kingdom.
Metal detectorists found a treasure trove dated to the 6-5th century BC in the vicinity of Lubatowa, South Poland, in the area of the Cergowa hill in the Low Beskid mountains.
Construction workers believe to have found relics and bodies of soldiers connected with the battle of Żyrzyn in 1863 while conducting construction works of the new S17 road near the Żerdź village near Warsaw, central Poland.
During conservation of the Black Madonna of Częstochowa, (also called Our Lady of Częstochowa) painting from the church of St Urban in Hecznarowice a second painting was revealed under the surface of the paint, also depicting the Black Madonna.
Excavations of a gothic church graveyard in Lisbon, Portugal revealed an ovarian tumour that had started forming teeth.
A international expedition of researchers and divers has recovered the bell of ORP Kujawiak, a destroyer escort vessel which was sunk during World War II off shore of Malta.
A Prehistoric trove of bronze jewellery, dated to between 900-650 BC, was discovered by a metal detectorist conducting a search in ranks of a local exploration society.
Part of a so-called “witch bottle”, a charm used to redirect bad spells back at the witch who cast them, was found at the bottom of a garden in in Navenby, Lincolnshire, United Kingdom.