A rescue dig in Sandomierz in South-western Poland revealed a mass grave dated to 2500 BC. Archaeologists discovered incomplete remains of over a dozen dismembered individuals.
Archaeological works at a recently discovered remains of a building, dated to the beginning of the 20th century, revealed another portion of artefacts and new architectural details of the structure.
Renovation works at Henryków village (South-eastern Poland) unearthed a previously unknown tunnel. The city is known for numerous monuments, such as a13th cent. Cistercian abbey.
Maintenance workers cutting down a tree near the Książ castle in Wałbrzych (South-western Poland) opened a hole in the ground revealing an unknown tunnel with walls built with bricks.
During construction works in Gniew (North Poland) a wooden tract was discovered under modern road.
The 7th edition of the Prospekcja Małopolska project (Lesser Poland Prospection) project, involving aerial prospection of archaeological sites and historic monuments is planned for the end of June. Archaeologist Piotr Wroniecki, head of the project is planning to conduct aerial prospection in order to enhance the knowledge about the past of the region of the Nida river basin in southern Poland.
Relics of a supposed Medieval wall were found in Malbork, northern Poland. In the Middle Ages the city was known for being the capital of the Teutonic State, who called it Marienburg.
A man looking for deer antlers made an accidental discovery of six Celtic coins near Pikulice is Southeastern Poland. The discovery was made in February but only recently revealed. The coins were found near the entrance to an animal’s borrow which had to dig it out.
A metal detectorist has discovered a trove of 10 coins and a ring with signs of golden alloy while doing a survey in a forest near Iława (Northern Poland). He notified the local Museum in Ostróda which officials identified the coins as silver ones from 1670, 1683, 1686, 1668, 1700, 1701, 1703, 1707, 1710 and 1711.
Two historical signboards painted on the walls above entrances were found during construction and restoration works in a historical over hundred years old Koszyki Market Hall in Warsaw.
The investor who promised to restore a historical villa on the Eastern outskirts of Warsaw (Poland) during almost two years of work demolished the building and led to it being removed from the registry of monuments. The villa is one of 19th cent. administration buildings of a former ceramics factory belonging to the manufacturer, Kazimierz Granzow.
An Ukrainian bus driver tried to smuggle nearly 100 items of archaeological status through the border between Poland and Ukraine. The smuggle of almost 100 artefacts was foiled by Polish customs officers at the border crossing in Medyka.
A box of archaeological finds that were shelved for over 50 years in one of the buildings of Polish Academy of Sciences have been brought back to the Auschwitz Museum. They originated from archaeological excavations conducted in 1967 in the area of the gas-chamber and the crematory no. III in Auschwitz concentration camp.
Over century-old slip-way in the Czerniakowski Port in Poland’s capital, Warsaw has been demolished. During renovation works, conducted by the Przedsiębiorstwo Budownictwa Wodnego (Hydroengineering Company), without the investors (Warsaw’s City Hall) knowledge and in disregard to preservation recommendations part of the pavement on the south side of the rampart has been completely dismantled.
Excavations in the Kolegiacki square in Poznań (Western Poland) revealed a burial with trepanation marks on the skeleton’s head. The remains, dated to 17th century may be one of the oldest known signs of such surgical techniques in Poland, as another well studied find of such marks is dated back to 1613.
A discovery of four bronze swords as old as 3000 years were found in Southern Poland by teens gathering mushrooms. Archaeologists from the Karpacka Troja open-air archaeological museum in Trzcinica and regional Heritage Office has been informed and inspectors went to the discovery site near Nowy Żmigród.
Cooperation between archaeologists and metal detectorists exceeded any expectations as three treasure troves and over 500 metal artefacts have been discovered. The systematic fieldwork took place in the valley of the river Sieniocha between Komarów and Tyszowce.
During construction of the ring road around Kłodzko a trace of the settlement has been found. Excavations that were conducted as part of the standard procedure preceding the construction revealed that a settlement dated even back to the 9th century BC along the road’s planned course.
A bracelet, dated to the Bronze Age (1600-1350 BC), has been secured by the Police after a detectorist, who brought it to the local Heritage Office. The men has recovered the priceless artefact a few weeks a ago, while illegally searching with a metal detector.
Employees of the Auschwitz Museum discovered a double bottom in a metal mug inside which jewellery was hidden. They were conducting routine preservation works on objects stolen by German Nazis from people arriving at the Auschwitz-Birkenau Death Camp.