A double burial was discovered within the ringfort in Czermno, East Poland. It belongs to a beheaded 30-year old male and a few-years-old child. The Czermno ringfort was supposedly known as Czerwień, being the the main keep of so called called Cherven Cities – a state that was fought over by the kings of the Piast dynasty against rulers of Kievan Rus. The graves discovered are dated to 12th-13th century, the time when the Cities were under Rus’ influence.
Annual season of aerial prospection in South Poland brought excellent results this year. Archaeologists conducting the flights and prospection over the Nida river basin detected numerous archaeological sites and other features, indicating presence of relics of man-made structures.
A cannon was discovered by construction workers in Gdańsk, Poland while conducting works at the Motławska street. The find weights a ton and is dated to 17th century.
The oldest known Bronze Age settlement from area of Poland was surrounded by fortifications. The site, dated to 2200-2050 BC was unearthed by archaeologist conducting excavations prior to road construction in southern Poland, near the village of Sadowie.
Archaeological studies of the Lithuanian square (Plac Litewski) in Lublin, East Poland revealed numerous Medieval structures and finds from more recent times.
Early Medieval burial mounds and a Medieval cemetery were found during excavations of the ringfort in Ryczyn, South-western Poland. The ringfort was one of the most important strongholds in Silesia of the early times of the kingdom of the Piast dynasty.
Four crypts are being investigated by archaeologists who started excavation in the Collegiate Church in Stargard, North-western Poland.
An unknown person delivered a bag containing a set of prehistoric vessels to Centrum Nauki i Sztuki Stara Kopalnia (Science and Art Centre Old Mine) in Wałbrzych, South-western Poland. The experts say that the pottery is 2700 years old and was created by the people of the Lusatian Culture.
Construction workers, conducting works at a site in Mińsk Mazowiecki (East Poland), unearthed a glass carafe while operating a digger. The carafe contained numerous small items.
Rescue excavations at a site of a 9th century ringfort revealed a large portion of the structure, including its fortifications as archaeologists opened a trench over a 1500 square metre area.
A rescue dig in Sandomierz in South-western Poland revealed a mass grave dated to 2500 BC. Archaeologists discovered incomplete remains of over a dozen dismembered individuals.
Archaeological works at a recently discovered remains of a building, dated to the beginning of the 20th century, revealed another portion of artefacts and new architectural details of the structure.
Renovation works at Henryków village (South-eastern Poland) unearthed a previously unknown tunnel. The city is known for numerous monuments, such as a13th cent. Cistercian abbey.
Maintenance workers cutting down a tree near the Książ castle in Wałbrzych (South-western Poland) opened a hole in the ground revealing an unknown tunnel with walls built with bricks.
During construction works in Gniew (North Poland) a wooden tract was discovered under modern road.
The 7th edition of the Prospekcja Małopolska project (Lesser Poland Prospection) project, involving aerial prospection of archaeological sites and historic monuments is planned for the end of June. Archaeologist Piotr Wroniecki, head of the project is planning to conduct aerial prospection in order to enhance the knowledge about the past of the region of the Nida river basin in southern Poland.
Relics of a supposed Medieval wall were found in Malbork, northern Poland. In the Middle Ages the city was known for being the capital of the Teutonic State, who called it Marienburg.
A man looking for deer antlers made an accidental discovery of six Celtic coins near Pikulice is Southeastern Poland. The discovery was made in February but only recently revealed. The coins were found near the entrance to an animal’s borrow which had to dig it out.
A metal detectorist has discovered a trove of 10 coins and a ring with signs of golden alloy while doing a survey in a forest near Iława (Northern Poland). He notified the local Museum in Ostróda which officials identified the coins as silver ones from 1670, 1683, 1686, 1668, 1700, 1701, 1703, 1707, 1710 and 1711.
Two historical signboards painted on the walls above entrances were found during construction and restoration works in a historical over hundred years old Koszyki Market Hall in Warsaw.