The square in front of the Collegiate church of St Nicholas in Końskie, south-central Poland, was once a cemetery for fallen Wehrmacht soldiers and civil administration workers of the Third Reich in German occupied Poland. Last March and April, after nearly 80 years, the graves were opened to exhume the bodies and move them to a cemetery for German soldiers in Siemianowice Śląskie. This is a brief story of the cemetery and the investigation of the site.
A completely preserved sword dating back to the 14th century was found in a peatbog near Hrubieszów, South-eastern Poland. It is considered a unique find for the whole region.
Archaeologists discovered a 2500-years-old fortified settlement in the vicinity of Chotyniec, in the Subcarpathian region of South-east Poland. The settlement is linked to the Scythian people and is the farthest to the West ever discovered.
Team of explorers uncovered numerous large stones with German inscriptions along with a mysterious bottle with a letter inside near Przemków, South-western Poland. The finds are believed to date to World War II when German youth camps operated in the area.
Archaeologists of the Polish Institute of National Remembrance (Instytut Pamięci Narodowej) uncovered a grave containing skeletons of three victims of the communist regime at the Łączka site of Powązki Military Cemetery in Warsaw. Two of the three victims were found holding hands.
Metal detectorists found a treasure trove dated to the 6-5th century BC in the vicinity of Lubatowa, South Poland, in the area of the Cergowa hill in the Low Beskid mountains.
Construction workers believe to have found relics and bodies of soldiers connected with the battle of Żyrzyn in 1863 while conducting construction works of the new S17 road near the Żerdź village near Warsaw, central Poland.
During conservation of the Black Madonna of Częstochowa, (also called Our Lady of Częstochowa) painting from the church of St Urban in Hecznarowice a second painting was revealed under the surface of the paint, also depicting the Black Madonna.
Archaeologists uncovered 18th century well and waterworks containing once-lost artefacts during excavations at Kalisz’s town square, western Poland.
Archaeologists discovered an execution wall with bullet marks hidden under plaster at a former detention centre in Warsaw that was used by the communist regime to incarcerate and exterminate Polish underground freedom fighters during 1945-1955.
Cemetery workers digging up a new grave at Kamień Pomorski, North-western Poland, discovered a richly ornamented led coffin, possibly dating to early 20th century.
As excavations at the Kolegiacki Square in Poznań, West Poland, continue, archaeologists were able to reveal the remains of a large church and around 3000 artefacts.
Remains of a gate leading to the Jewish ghetto established by the Nazis in occupied Poland was found in Białystok, East Poland. The gate lead to the ghetto from the Czysta street.
A time capsule found in Głogów, south-western Poland, at the Umiński Square was opened by experts, revealing led tube containing a glass jar wrapped in a newspaper from 1900.
Historical floor tiles were unearthed in a park in Poland’s capital, Warsaw, by unknown individuals. Heritage authorities who investigated the site identified them as remains of a hospital building around 1792 in the Jazdów district.
A 6-metre-long log boat was discovered on the bottom of the Niedzięgiel lake, near Skorzęcin, by an amateur diver.
Archaeologists excavation the area of a hill by the Świętoduska street, just behind the Town Hall in Lublin, East Poland, unearthed a previously unknown German WW2 bunker and remains of fortified firing positions.
Archaeologists confirmed that remains of fortifications found by aerial laser scanning (ALS) in the region of the Dalkowskie Hills, south-east Poland, are linked to the army of Frederick the Great, King of Prussia, and were probably constructed in 1759 during the Seven Years’ War (1754-1763).
Just months after the first find, a third BT1000 bomb-torpedo, developed by the Third Reich as “wunderwaffe” was found in Gdynia, Northern Poland.
Excavations that started on the Zamkowa hill (Castle hill) in Unisław, Northern Poland, aimed at locating the remains of a supposed Teutonic Order’s castle unearthed first traces of a yet unidentified structure that once stood at the site.