Archaeologists of the Polish Institute of National Remembrance (Instytut Pamięci Narodowej) uncovered a grave containing skeletons of three victims of the communist regime at the Łączka site of Powązki Military Cemetery in Warsaw. Two of the three victims were found holding hands.
Soldiers of the 1st Sappers’ Regiment from Brzeg aided researchers of the Polish Institute of National Remembrance (Instytut Pamięci Narodowej) in search for places of mass murders committed by the communist regime in Poland.
Construction workers discovered remains of a German WW2 machine gun MP 40 at the city’s speedway stadium in Gdańsk, North Poland. The weapon’s chamber was preserved and a serial number was possible to be read.
Remains of two World War II boats were salvaged by explorers at a Baltic beach in Sztutowo, northern Poland. One wreck was identified as a gunboat sunk in 1945 and the other is a fishing boat.
The Nazi weather station called Schatzgraber, or “Treasure Hunter” was re-discovered on Alexandra Land island located in Russian Federation’s Arkhangelsk Oblast, less than 700 miles from the North pole.
A team of detectorists and explorers discovered remains of a Panther tank left by the Germans during World War II. The discovery was made near Chrostkowo in North-Central Poland.
A hidden deposit made by Germans living in Lubomierz, south-western Poland, during World War II was discovered after the relatives of the people that have hidden the objects came to seek them. The Germans asking for shovels brought the attention of the Polish Police which notified the heritage officials.
After seven days of intensive digging, explorers unearthed a time capsule from 1934. The find was once buried as a cornerstone of Ordensburg Krössinsee – an educational centre for cadres of the Nazi Party in Złocieniec (then known as Falkenburg), north-western Poland.
A box of archaeological finds that were shelved for over 50 years in one of the buildings of Polish Academy of Sciences have been brought back to the Auschwitz Museum. They originated from archaeological excavations conducted in 1967 in the area of the gas-chamber and the crematory no. III in Auschwitz concentration camp.