The square in front of the Collegiate church of St Nicholas in Końskie, south-central Poland, was once a cemetery for fallen Wehrmacht soldiers and civil administration workers of the Third Reich in German occupied Poland. Last March and April, after nearly 80 years, the graves were opened to exhume the bodies and move them to a cemetery for German soldiers in Siemianowice Śląskie. This is a brief story of the cemetery and the investigation of the site.
Archaeologists discovered a 2500-years-old fortified settlement in the vicinity of Chotyniec, in the Subcarpathian region of South-east Poland. The settlement is linked to the Scythian people and is the farthest to the West ever discovered.
Team of explorers uncovered numerous large stones with German inscriptions along with a mysterious bottle with a letter inside near Przemków, South-western Poland. The finds are believed to date to World War II when German youth camps operated in the area.
Metal detectorists found a treasure trove dated to the 6-5th century BC in the vicinity of Lubatowa, South Poland, in the area of the Cergowa hill in the Low Beskid mountains.
Construction workers believe to have found relics and bodies of soldiers connected with the battle of Żyrzyn in 1863 while conducting construction works of the new S17 road near the Żerdź village near Warsaw, central Poland.
A Prehistoric trove of bronze jewellery, dated to between 900-650 BC, was discovered by a metal detectorist conducting a search in ranks of a local exploration society.
Archaeologists uncovered 18th century well and waterworks containing once-lost artefacts during excavations at Kalisz’s town square, western Poland.
The building of the abandoned 19th-century tannery in Warsaw, Poland, has been surrounded by scaffolding as part of maintenance works aimed at strengthening the structural safety.
Rail belonging to an abandoned 19th-century tram line covered re-surfaced from under modern asphalt surface at the Plac Teatralny (Theatre Square) in Warsaw, Poland.
Construction workers carrying repairs of a road in Okół, South Poland, unearthed bones of numerous individuals that were buried together in a mass grave.
An accidental find of a Maxim gun, the first recoil-operated machine gun invented in 1883, was made at a beach in Łukęcin, North-western Poland by a man strolling along the shore.
Cemetery workers digging up a new grave at Kamień Pomorski, North-western Poland, discovered a richly ornamented led coffin, possibly dating to early 20th century.
As excavations at the Kolegiacki Square in Poznań, West Poland, continue, archaeologists were able to reveal the remains of a large church and around 3000 artefacts.
Family renovating a 120-year-old small brick house in Parszkowo, northern Poland, discovered a stash of various types of ammunition, hidden under the flooring.
A time capsule found in Głogów, south-western Poland, at the Umiński Square was opened by experts, revealing led tube containing a glass jar wrapped in a newspaper from 1900.
Historical floor tiles were unearthed in a park in Poland’s capital, Warsaw, by unknown individuals. Heritage authorities who investigated the site identified them as remains of a hospital building around 1792 in the Jazdów district.
Part of a jet engine belonging to a German WW2 Nebelwerfer missile was found by a farmer ploughing the field in Gołąb, near Puławy, East Poland.
Archaeologists excavation the area of a hill by the Świętoduska street, just behind the Town Hall in Lublin, East Poland, unearthed a previously unknown German WW2 bunker and remains of fortified firing positions.
A passer-by discovered what looked like a piece of World War II unexploded ordnance, near the Świsłocz river, in the area of Krynki, East Poland, just 100 metres from the Polish-Belarusian border.
Over 140 coins and pieces of jewellery were seized by the Customs Officers at the Polish-Ukrainian border crossing at Medica, East Poland. The artefacts were being smuggled by an Ukrainian citizen into Poland.