Archaeologists finished the ninth season of excavations of the Teutonic Order’s castle in Człuchów, North Poland, revealing remains of a rectangular tower which contained many surprises.
Excavations that started on the Zamkowa hill (Castle hill) in Unisław, Northern Poland, aimed at locating the remains of a supposed Teutonic Order’s castle unearthed first traces of a yet unidentified structure that once stood at the site.
Over 50 archaeologists and metal detectorists surveyed the area of the Medieval Battle of Grunwald. The 1410 battle between an alliance of the Kingdom of Poland and the Grand Duchy of Lithuania, against the Teutonic Knights was a decisive clash that shifted the balance of power in Eastern Europe.
Remains of a burnt down stronghold belonging to the Teutonic Order was discovered near the Lichtajny Lake, in northern Poland. Archaeologists suspect the remains formed once a wooden castle that was burnt down during Order’s colonisation of the pagan Prussia in 13th century.
The 15th century city of Nieszawa, known by two names Nowa Nieszawa (New Nieszawa) or Dybów was a prosperous urban centre on the border of the Polish Kingdom and the Teutonic Order. In nearly 40 years of its existence the city became the main rival of the Order’s city of Toruń (Thorn), a member of the Hanseatic League.