Researchers have surveyed the shores along the Vistula river south of Warsaw, Poland’s capital, in order to detect unknown archaeological sites. Among the new, previously unknown discoveries are 19th-century fortifications, salt chamber, and military earthworks.
Construction works on Warsaw’s second line of metro led to the discovery of a 300-year-old well. The feature was discovered at the Prince Janusz Street (Ulica Księcia Janusza) in western part of Poland’s capital.
Restoration works in the gardens of the Royal Castle in Warsaw led to a discovery of a 19th-cent. tunnel leading towards the Vistula river. Existence of tunnels under the river is one of the most well-known urban legends in Warsaw.
Archaeologists completed the elaboration of archive records of excavations at Biskupin, a fortified Iron Age settlement and one of the most important archaeological sites in Poland. The initial excavations were undertaken between 1934-39 and were interrupted by World War II, which also led to partial destruction of the original documentation.
Over 20 grave pits and human remains were found at the Johannes Hevelius Park in Poznań, West Poland. The area is located near the former Soviet NKVD (People’s Commissariat for Internal Affairs) camp, hence it’s believed the graves belong to the victims of the Soviet regime, murdered after 1945.
An original engine of the Renault FT tank, the oldest tank that served in the Polish Army, was discovered in a basement of a flat building in Warsaw, after a call by the owner to the museum which was looking for one worldwide.
Conservation works conducted in a small Church of the Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary, just outside Warsaw’s Old Town, lead to a discovery of an unknown fresco painting showing angels and columns.
Archaeologists working along the construction of one of Poland’s speedways near Nadarzyn, South-West of Warsaw, Poland, have unearthed remains of around 3000 individuals when the construction cut through a former graveyard.
A man donated items, including a historic sailboat from 1943, a radio unit from a German Tiger tank, and photographs documenting the every-day life of citizens of Vilnius before WW2, that he kept in his flat to the Museum of Sports and Tourism in Warsaw, Poland.
Archaeologists of the Polish Institute of National Remembrance (Instytut Pamięci Narodowej) uncovered a grave containing skeletons of three victims of the communist regime at the Łączka site of Powązki Military Cemetery in Warsaw. Two of the three victims were found holding hands.
Construction workers believe to have found relics and bodies of soldiers connected with the battle of Żyrzyn in 1863 while conducting construction works of the new S17 road near the Żerdź village near Warsaw, central Poland.
Archaeologists discovered an execution wall with bullet marks hidden under plaster at a former detention centre in Warsaw that was used by the communist regime to incarcerate and exterminate Polish underground freedom fighters during 1945-1955.
Historical floor tiles were unearthed in a park in Poland’s capital, Warsaw, by unknown individuals. Heritage authorities who investigated the site identified them as remains of a hospital building around 1792 in the Jazdów district.