In just two days work over a dozen 120-litre plastic bags were filled by remains of shoes as part of exploration of the German World War II Konzentrationslager Stutthof in northern Poland.
First season of a three-year project of archaeological investigation of the Westerplatte area revealed numerous artefacts from the early days of World War II. The site is the place of the Battle of Westerplatte, the first battle in the invasion of Poland and marked the start of the Second World War in Europe.
Scientists managed to study a wreckage of a sunken World War II barge that is located on the seabed at the entrance to the port in Kołobrzeg, northern Poland. The landing barge was possibly used in 1945 in evacuation of city’s citizens.
Police from the precinct in Ujście arrested a man who was conducting illegal search on registered archaeological sites with use of a metal detector. In his home the officers discovered nearly 1000 artefacts obtained in a potentially illegal way.
Excavations unearthed the remains of a World War II Lancaster NN775 bomber that crashed in boggy terrain at Bunsbeek, about 45 kilometres east of Brussells, Belgium.
A mass grave of over 1000 people murdered by Germans located in Berlin revealed new information. The experts discovered that the remains belong to prisoners of the Sachsenhausen concentration camp, of which over 400 were of Polish nationality.
Researchers conducted a project to reveal and document the military history of the rural region of South Norfolk, East United Kingdom, which played a pivotal role in military actions during the world wars.
Trove of Bronze Age artefacts, including a necklace, two bracelets, four armlets and a double-bladed axe, discovered last year by a detectorist, were restored and put on display in the local museum in Kamień Pomorski, north-western Poland.
A team of detectorists and explorers discovered remains of a Panther tank left by the Germans during World War II. The discovery was made near Chrostkowo in North-Central Poland.
A hidden deposit made by Germans living in Lubomierz, south-western Poland, during World War II was discovered after the relatives of the people that have hidden the objects came to seek them. The Germans asking for shovels brought the attention of the Polish Police which notified the heritage officials.
Archaeologists conducting excavations in Warsaw’s northern district of Marymont, discovered remains of a summer palace built for king Jan III Sobieski (Eng. John III Sobieski), known for his victory over the Turks at the 1683 Battle of Vienna.
An ongoing project of World War II battlegrounds off U.S. shores is under-way two wrecks of have been already discovered. The twin wrecks are the freighter SS Bluefields and the German U-bot U-576.
Archaeologists discovered a plunge pool built in Victorian times in a 12th century Cluniac nunnery of Delapre Abbey. The bath is believed to have been used by health-conscious visitors in the 19th century.
In Warsaw, archaeologist made a number of discoveries at a site of a future construction of office buildings on a square just outside the centre of the city.
The building of Henryk Dąbrowski’s Chemical plant in Warsaw, pre-dating World War II was destroyed by the developer despite the structure being registered as an architectural monument. The demolition was conducted despite the decision of the Heritage Office and district authorities.
Construction workers, conducting works at a site in Mińsk Mazowiecki (East Poland), unearthed a glass carafe while operating a digger. The carafe contained numerous small items.
An international expedition of underwater researchers has found the bell from a destroyer ORP Kujawiak sunk during World War II.
Maintenance workers cutting down a tree near the Książ castle in Wałbrzych (South-western Poland) opened a hole in the ground revealing an unknown tunnel with walls built with bricks.
The investor who promised to restore a historical villa on the Eastern outskirts of Warsaw (Poland) during almost two years of work demolished the building and led to it being removed from the registry of monuments. The villa is one of 19th cent. administration buildings of a former ceramics factory belonging to the manufacturer, Kazimierz Granzow.
Archaeologists from Institute of Archaeology of the University of Warsaw and Collegium Polonicum in Słubice discovered over one hundred fortifications in the Sudetes – a mountain range in Southern Poland. The types of documented features range from simple trenches from World War II to medieval forts.