The 9th cent. ringfort discovered in 2014 at Vallø Borgring near Køge in Danemark was destroyed by fire set deliberately, as archaeologists state. In order to unravel the mystery of its destruction Police was asked to provide a fire safety investigator to aid the scientific investigation.
A model of a stupa hidden within a stone chest in a crypt beneath a Buddist temple in Nanjing (China) contained a parietal bone of the skull that according to inscriptions belonged to revered Buddha, Siddhartha Gautama himself.
Recent excavations at the Uşaklı Mound in Turkey revealed two structures that might point to the site being an ancient Hittite city of Zippalanda.
Excavations of the ancient city of Hippos in North-eastern Israel revealed a monumental Roman gate.
Archaeologists discovered ancient furnaces after noticing slag and coating on a rough road used by tourists to access the shoreline of Shida Bay at Lake Baikal in Siberia.
New season of excavations conducted at Barikot in the valley of Swat (Pakistan) revealed fortifications built by the Indo-Greek kings that ruled the city after the siege by Alexander the Great.
An international expedition of underwater researchers has found the bell from a destroyer ORP Kujawiak sunk during World War II.
Archaeologists from Polish Centre of Mediterranean Archaeology of the University of Warsaw summed up 10 years of excavation at a necropolis dated to 8th-7th cent. BC, that is located within the Mortuary Temple complex of Queen Hatshepsut in Egypt.
Maintenance workers cutting down a tree near the Książ castle in Wałbrzych (South-western Poland) opened a hole in the ground revealing an unknown tunnel with walls built with bricks.
During construction works in Gniew (North Poland) a wooden tract was discovered under modern road.
One of oldest cases of trepanation in Africa was discovered in Sudan by Polish archaeologists. During excavations at the neolithic site of Khor Shambat, at Omdurman in Sudan a skeleton was unearthed dated back to 7000 years ago (5th-4th millennium BC).
The 7th edition of the Prospekcja Małopolska project (Lesser Poland Prospection) project, involving aerial prospection of archaeological sites and historic monuments is planned for the end of June. Archaeologist Piotr Wroniecki, head of the project is planning to conduct aerial prospection in order to enhance the knowledge about the past of the region of the Nida river basin in southern Poland.
Excavations by hungarian archaeologists from University of Pecs reveal that the ruins of an Ottoman-era mosque discovered in Szigetvar (South Hungary) might possibly be the resting place of Sultan Suleiman the Magnificent.
Archaeologists working at a future construction site of University of Lincoln’s new Sarah Swift building in the city centre of Lincoln (United Kingdom) discovered a previously unknown Roman cemetery.
After two weeks of excavations experts from the Ipplepen Archaeological Project discovered a Romano-British settlement at the site near Ipplepen, Davon (United Kingdom) where a detectorist discovered coins in 2009.
Archaeologists from Kashan University conducted excavations at the site of Feizabad (Isfahan, Iran), an urban centre and settlement area during the Ilkahnid era (ca. 1256–1335 AD).
Bronze Age rock paintings were studied by archaeologists in the region of the Gorbitsa village, nearly 550 kilometres North-east of regional capital Chita (Zabaykalsky Krai, Russia).
Norwegian archaeologists of the Hordaland County Council and University Museum of Bergen discovered parts of a prehistoric sledge that were revealed in 2015 by the melting Vossaskavlen Glacier in western Norway.
Excavations at the Barranc de la Boella site by the village of Canonja near Terragona revealed a set of 50 flint tools. Their age is estimated by the Catalan Institute of Human Paleo-Ecology and Social Evolution to be between 800000 and a million years old.
A figurine that once lost among the collections has been rediscovered in Stromness Museum on the Orkney Island of Mainland. The artefact was found at the Neolithic site of Skara Brae in the 1860s and later donated to the museum without provenance in the 1930s.