Rescue excavations at a site of a 9th century ringfort revealed a large portion of the structure, including its fortifications as archaeologists opened a trench over a 1500 square metre area. So far excavations of such kind on a structure such as this Early Medieval ringfort were not conducted in western Poland. The archaeologists date the structure between half of 9th and early 10th century, when it was burnt.
During the excavations archaeologists unearthed large portions of the wood-and-dirt wall that formed the fortifications. Its foundations consisted of wooden boxes willed with sand or sand mixed with clay. The experts recognised also the remains of a moat enclosing the site and the entrance to it in form of a 2.5 metre wide opening in the wall. Inside the fort concentrations of processed bones and antlers were found, indicating places of potential workshops. The excavations will now focus in the open space of the ringfort, as Paweł Pawlak, head of the excavations, states.
(after Nauka w Polsce & Paweł Pawlak)