Archaeologists found remains of pillar structures, dating back 1400 years, during excavation at Ulów, East Poland.
On course of excavations carried out since 2002 remains of two large settlements and two burial sites linked to one of the Germanic tribes were discovered in Ulów. The findings date from the early 4th to second half of 5th centuries AD. The post-holes indicating existence of a pillar structure were discovered within one of the cemetery sites. Archaeologists state that the pillars formed three structures, aligned with cardinal directions. Samples from the archaeological features were radiocarbon-dated revealing dates from the end of 5th to early 7th centuries BC, that is to the period when the cemetery was already out of use. The largest of the structures measures 4.5 by 3.8 metres.
(after Barbara Niezabitowska-Wiśniewska & Nauka w Polsce)