Engineers working on a water works construction in Newark-on-Trent, Nottinghamshire, England discovered remains of a defensive ditch that used to protect the city in 17th century AD.
The defensive structure is believed to have been used as part of Newark’s defences during the English Civil War in the 17th century. It was discovered while carrying out work as part of an investment in the town’s water system. The works stopped to allow archaeologists to study the feature. According to the experts the ditch is cut into heavy clay and is massive, and possibly needed hard to be dug. Already the experts discovered 17th century salt glazed pottery and a single piece of lead shot, either from a pistol or carbine within the ditch. The trench was part of a massive network of fortifications which by 1645 kept at bay a vast Parliamentarian and Scots army numbering 16000.
(after Nottingham Post)