An accidental find of a Maxim gun, the first recoil-operated machine gun invented in 1883, was made at a beach in Łukęcin, North-western Poland by a man strolling along the shore.
Cemetery workers digging up a new grave at Kamień Pomorski, North-western Poland, discovered a richly ornamented led coffin, possibly dating to early 20th century.
As excavations at the Kolegiacki Square in Poznań, West Poland, continue, archaeologists were able to reveal the remains of a large church and around 3000 artefacts.
Family renovating a 120-year-old small brick house in Parszkowo, northern Poland, discovered a stash of various types of ammunition, hidden under the flooring.
Remains of a gate leading to the Jewish ghetto established by the Nazis in occupied Poland was found in Białystok, East Poland. The gate lead to the ghetto from the Czysta street.
Customs officers at the Polish-Belarusian border foiled the smuggle of 680 coins dated to the 18th century. The artefacts were being smuggled by a Belarusian citizen through the border crossing at Połowce.
A time capsule found in Głogów, south-western Poland, at the Umiński Square was opened by experts, revealing led tube containing a glass jar wrapped in a newspaper from 1900.
Historical floor tiles were unearthed in a park in Poland’s capital, Warsaw, by unknown individuals. Heritage authorities who investigated the site identified them as remains of a hospital building around 1792 in the Jazdów district.
A 6-metre-long log boat was discovered on the bottom of the Niedzięgiel lake, near Skorzęcin, by an amateur diver.
Part of a jet engine belonging to a German WW2 Nebelwerfer missile was found by a farmer ploughing the field in Gołąb, near Puławy, East Poland.
Archaeologists excavation the area of a hill by the Świętoduska street, just behind the Town Hall in Lublin, East Poland, unearthed a previously unknown German WW2 bunker and remains of fortified firing positions.
Archaeologists confirmed that remains of fortifications found by aerial laser scanning (ALS) in the region of the Dalkowskie Hills, south-east Poland, are linked to the army of Frederick the Great, King of Prussia, and were probably constructed in 1759 during the Seven Years’ War (1754-1763).
Custodian of a parish archive discovered a wardrobe filled with forgotten documents in the church of St Joseph at Podgórze, Kraków, Poland. Among the documents is a 16th cent. Bible, census of population, promissory notes, old photographs, banner of a railway guild, and a marriage contract of a famous vodka distillery owner.
A scientific project aimed at environment monitoring and water purification of the Sulejowski Reservoir, Central Poland, lead to a possible discovery of German WW2 Panther tank’s remains resting at the bottom since 1945.
Just months after the first find, a third BT1000 bomb-torpedo, developed by the Third Reich as “wunderwaffe” was found in Gdynia, Northern Poland.
A passer-by discovered what looked like a piece of World War II unexploded ordnance, near the Świsłocz river, in the area of Krynki, East Poland, just 100 metres from the Polish-Belarusian border.
Over 140 coins and pieces of jewellery were seized by the Customs Officers at the Polish-Ukrainian border crossing at Medica, East Poland. The artefacts were being smuggled by an Ukrainian citizen into Poland.
Excavations that started on the Zamkowa hill (Castle hill) in Unisław, Northern Poland, aimed at locating the remains of a supposed Teutonic Order’s castle unearthed first traces of a yet unidentified structure that once stood at the site.
Excavations at the Lisia Hill (Fox Hill) in Rzeszów revealed numerous pottery pieces and archaeological features attributed to the Neolithic people of the Malicka culture, which lasted between ca. 5000-3800 BC.
Two mass graves of plague victims and guillotine execution were discovered during excavations of Targ Sienny (Hay Market) in Gdańsk, at the former site of a St Gertrude’s hospital’s cemetery.