Excavations in the Kolegiacki square in Poznań (Western Poland) revealed a burial with trepanation marks on the skeleton’s head. The remains, dated to 17th century may be one of the oldest known signs of such surgical techniques in Poland, as another well studied find of such marks is dated back to 1613.
Capitolias (modern Beit Ras), an ancient city in Jordan that was created in the end of the 1st century AD and served the legions which protected the eastern border of the Roman Empire was the scene of excavations of a team of archaeologist from the Centre of Mediterranean Archaeology of University of Warsaw which continued their 3rd season at the site.
A discovery of four bronze swords as old as 3000 years were found in Southern Poland by teens gathering mushrooms. Archaeologists from the Karpacka Troja open-air archaeological museum in Trzcinica and regional Heritage Office has been informed and inspectors went to the discovery site near Nowy Żmigród.
Cooperation between archaeologists and metal detectorists exceeded any expectations as three treasure troves and over 500 metal artefacts have been discovered. The systematic fieldwork took place in the valley of the river Sieniocha between Komarów and Tyszowce.
Relics of ancient fortifications and monumental tombs were found among numerous sites by a group of archaeologists from the Centre of Mediterranean Archaeology of the University of Warsaw. The fieldwork in a the project, coordinated by prof. Piotr Bieliński, was led by dr Łukasz Rutkowski.
During construction of the ring road around Kłodzko a trace of the settlement has been found. Excavations that were conducted as part of the standard procedure preceding the construction revealed that a settlement dated even back to the 9th century BC along the road’s planned course.
A bracelet, dated to the Bronze Age (1600-1350 BC), has been secured by the Police after a detectorist, who brought it to the local Heritage Office. The men has recovered the priceless artefact a few weeks a ago, while illegally searching with a metal detector.
National Heritage Board of Poland (Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa) launched a website dedicated to present the national heritage monuments that are listed in the official registry. The website www.zabytek.pl contains entries on over 24000 monuments, that date from Stone Age to 20th cent.
Polish archaeologists continue work in Palmyra, the ancient city in Syria that was recently freed from ISIS forces’ occupation. A short visit of the experts from Centre of Mediterranean Archaeology of University of Warsaw focused on securing artefacts for transport and gathering pieces of shattered sculptures and wall decorations.
A metal detectorist has found a deposit of two bronze bracelets during illegal search near the Trzcianka village located in the valley of the Noteć river. The detectorist secured the find and reported it to the local heritage authorities handing the artefacts over and presenting the hoard’s location.
A pair of leather sandals, a set of pottery vessels, a large wine amphora, pieces of clothes, shards of glass vessels and a letter on a piece of papyrus were among the finds in an hermitage within the Naqlun monastery in the Fajum oasis in Egypt.
The prehistoric fort in Chodlik (lubelskie voivodeship) in eastern Poland received its virtual museum after the archaeologists created multimedia platform for the broad audience. The project has been undertaken by the Scientific Society of Polish Archaeologists in co-operation with the Museum Nadwiślańskie in Kazimierz Dolny and the local government of Karczmiska municipality.
Excavations on a sports area in Skoki, Wielkopolska voivodeship in Poland, resulted in finding a treasure of 117 silver coins, dated to 15th and 16th century AD. The initial discovery of first few coins was made in December last year by an archaeologists from the local Regional Museum in Wągrowiec, Marcin Krzepkowski together with Michał Kołpowski.
During excavations in the Raphael’s church in the royal complex in Dongola (Sudan) archaeologists of The Polish Centre of Mediterranean Archaeology of the University in Warsaw have discovered the largest number of paintings so far.
Archaeologists from Institute of Archaeology of the University of Warsaw and Collegium Polonicum in Słubice discovered over one hundred fortifications in the Sudetes – a mountain range in Southern Poland. The types of documented features range from simple trenches from World War II to medieval forts.
A hunter and gamekeeper found a treasure trove in the middle of a ploughed field near Zalewo (warmińsko-mazurskie voivodeship). The accidental discovery was made while Przemysław Kulpa was looking for boar tracks damaging local crops and silage.
An accidental find of over 230 silver coins with remains of a clay vessel was made in Złotoria in North-eastern Poland by a man walking a field after ploughing. The finder reported the hoard to Muzeum Podlaskie authorities.
The first season of excavations of a team of Polish archaeologists at the church of San Michele del Golfo (also known as Santa Maria di Campogrosso) resulted in dating the origins of the building and documenting new, unknown walls and graves next to the present ruins of the structure.
Construction workers unearthed remains of buildings dated pre-World-War-2 in Poland’s capital Warsaw.
Archaeologists working at a construction site in Gdańsk (North Poland) unearthed nearly 30 metres of wooden water supply pipes.