Remains of two World War II boats were salvaged by explorers at a Baltic beach in Sztutowo, northern Poland. One wreck was identified as a gunboat sunk in 1945 and the other is a fishing boat.
Explorers from the Latebra Fundation recovered remains of two shipwrecks that were discovered on the beach at Sztutowo. It is believed that the remains are of German boats that were sunk in spring of 1945. The wrecks were located near the main entrance to the beach in the city.
With the use of an excavator the explorers recovered parts of both boats, including equipment elements, part of the ship’s propeller, navigation equipment and parts of armaments. Both ships were located about 100 metres apart.
The beach in Sztutowo was used by Germans between January and May 1945 as a transshipment port for the army besieged on the peninsula. Military equipment for the fighting Nazi forces was loaded and unloaded on the ships here. The beaches were used also to evacuate the civilian population and injured soldiers. German troops were attacked from the air by Red Army’s airplanes resulting in sinking of many ships, boats and barges. Many of their wrecks are still remaining on the beaches between Krynica Morska and Stegny.
(after Sztutowo.com & Dziennik Bałtycki)